Historic Irishtown Street Blade Signage
Street blade sign commemorating Historic Irishtown along South Street at Cornwallis Park. At its fullest extent, Irishtown ran from Barrington (formerly Pleasant) Street eastward to the Harbour and from Prince Street to South Street. As late as 1901 there were people residing in the Lower Water - Bishop Street area who listed their native language on the census of the day as “Irish Gaelic”. Much has changed since 1879. There is little left of the historic waterfront and much of the area has been redeveloped. But there are a number of old Irishtown houses still standing in Bishop, Hollis, Morris, and Barrington Streets that evoke something of the area’s 19th century character.