Please review and manage the Cookie settings below. Apart from 'Strictly necessary cookies', you can change other cookie settings if present, at any time by clicking the 'Cookie Settings' link in the footer of the page.
Strictly necessary cookies:
Necessary for enabling core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. This cannot be turned off.
Three brick and masonry buildings at the northern tip of the proposed boundary, along Barrington Street, exemplify the transition of architectural styles within the District.
Stoddard House (1828), to the far left, is the oldest of the three buildings. It is typical of the Georgian style, raised up from the street level on a tall foundation, laid out in the side hall entrance plan, three bays wide and deep from front to back. Its truncated gable roof was replaced with a mansard roof in the 1890s.
St. Matthew's Manse (1874), to the right of the Stoddard House above, is from the mid-Victorian period. It combines elements of the Georgian style with more decorative influences of the Second Empire style including an original bell cast mansard roof with dormers, cornice with paired brackets and frieze, granite quoins at the corners and a string course separating each floor.
Renner-Carney House (1891), to the right of St. Matthew's Manse above, is from the late Victorian period. Its eclectic style still complements the order and symmetry of the Georgian style albeit with many more decorative features such as gothic dormers and bracketed eaves. Its central tower, above the entrance, projects through the roof eaves with a pyramidal roof that includes a bell cast curve.